The pillars of Nutritional Therapy
Chronic dehydration is a major problem in our society with the over consumption of duritics as coffee, tea, soda, alcohol and juices.
We are made of 55-60% water so obviously we need to hydrate our body with clean pure water!
Proper hydration = drink half your body weight in ounces of water or more per day. Avoid tap water when possible and you may need to add electrolytes if you are unable to retain the water. I add quality unrefined sea salt to my water in the morning to my 2 glasses of water. But if you are drinking diuretic beverages – even 8 ounces- be sure to add even more water as 12-16 ounces to your daily intake to stay hydrated.
Digestion requires water so make sure you drink water before your meal to aid in the digestive process.
How much water do you drink per day? Maybe we need an entire The WHOLE Athlete podcast episode on water! Your body is 60% water so hydration is key to health.
“Chronic cellular dehydration of the body is the primary etiology of painful degenerative disease” – F. Batmanghelidj, MD.
Please read your “Bodies many cries for water” for more reasons to keep your cells hydrated!
Early signs of dehydration include:
fatigue, anxiety, irritability, depression, cravings, cramps and headaches.
Mature signs of dehydration include:
heartburn, joint pain, back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia, constipation and colitis.
Stress is dehydrating as well!
Are you ready to become a fat burner? Sign up for our new upcoming BURN FAT Club at Fitness Forward Studio with LEVL Now!
I’m excited to share the new LEVL device. With the LEVL device, a multi-user dashboard, and ongoing support, this metabolic tracking system will revolutionize the way we train and coach our clients. Deliver results for your client’s faster than ever with the power of LEVLpro:
· LEVL device calculates fat burn in a non-invasive, data-driven, clinically accurate manor.
· Breath acetone measurements, concentration of acetone (ketone bodies) in your exhaled breath, providing you with real time metabolic insights.
· Determine the effects of diet and exercise on our clients in real time, to tailor routines for optimal results.
LEVL is pioneering a new frontier in fat loss – via a simple breath. The LEVL device provides you with the metabolic insights you need to make real time choices about your nutrition and fitness. The LEVL device measures a chemical – acetone – in exhaled breath. Clinical research demonstrates a correlation between the amount of acetone (measured in parts per million or PPM) detected in the breath and body fat burned, giving you a reliable indicator of fat loss. A breath measurement of 2 PPM or greater indicates an elevated state of fat metabolism that should correspond to a loss of at least 1/2 lb. of body fat per week.
The LEVL device helps our clients understand how the foods they eat and different types of exercise effect their body. By knowing this information, your clients will be able to make the necessary changes to live a healthy lifestyle and achieve their overall wellness goals more efficiently than ever.
Our local clients will be able to join our monthly BURN FAT club for $49 per month – includes unlimited reading with LEVL Pro and program service.
Attend our BURN FAT seminar at FF Studio on June 4th to learn more – and invite your friends:
The WHOLESTIC Method
Fitness Forward Studio, LLC
NASM CPT, CHEK HCL, USAT Coach
Host of “The WHOLE Athlete” Podcast
Author of “Life is NOT a Race” & “The WHOLESTIC Method Manual”
Do you feel like you are gaining weight daily even if you are eating a low sugar/refined carbs diet and exercising right for your type?
Perhaps you are also feeling any of the following symptoms:
- tired for no reason?
- trouble waking up in the morning?
- feel the most awake and wired in the evening?
- overwhelmed with daily life?
- burned out and rundown?
- struggle bouncing back from illness or stressful event?
- crave salt and sweet snacks?
The role of the adrenal glands with stress is not solo… the “Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal Gland Axis” (known as HPA Axis) is that functional medicine looks at as the result of living each day as a race – or living with chronic fatigue. When we wake up each morning in a rush then continue feeling the sense of racing through the day non-stop until we reach the finish line in the evening when it is time to crash at bedtime…we are compromising our internal health.
Learn more in my personal story called “LIFE IS NOT A RACE, It is a Journey: Pace the WHOLE you with The WHOLESTIC Method” available on Amazon.
Also I am offering Nutritional Therapy with a blend of my “The WHOLESTIC Method” coaching elements to help transform the WHOLE you from the inside out.
Living life with chronic stress every day accumulates and eventually exhausts not only your adrenal glands but also leads to a cascade of events including thyroid, detoxification and immune issues.
Learn more with our new Nutritional Therapy program at and get started here with one of our Nutritional Therapy Practitioners (NTP).
AND you can learn more for free every week on my podcast called The WHOLE Athlete…a new 30 minute episode is out every Tuesday! Click here to subscribe and download The WHOLE Athlete podcast on Itunes or find here www.thewholeathletepodcast.com
Are you ready to start your total body transformation program and find the root cause to your unexplained symptoms? Get started with our Nutritional Therapy New Client Start Up Special.
Your The WHOLESTIC Method Coach,
After reading a new book for my NTP program- I wanted to share the information and resources provided in this book that is beneficial for any business owner, practitioner, coach, trainer and entrepreneur.
The PEACE Process by Miriam Zacharias.
The PEACE Process is about establishing the following to be successful as a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner or anyone with a business idea that wants to make it a successful career as my studio – Fitness Forward Studio and branding The WHOLESTIC Method:
The author of this book, Miriam, really understands the importance of creating a vision and making it become reality as I know first-hand the struggle of running your own business all alone and working to just cover the overhead! It is tough to be a successful business owner in the health and fitness industry when not only there is so much competition and so many options. To be successful, we as owners/coaches/trainers need to determine why we are doing what we are doing -and trying to make a living doing what we love. What is your purpose? Or I love this question Miriam added in her book-
“at the end of my life, what one thing will I regret if I never accomplish it?”
Hmmm… this is the time to get a journal out and start writing after a walk, bike ride or run to process what we want to do in life not only with our career but who do we want to inspire? How are we going to make an impact …and to whom? How are we going to get there?
I always have ideas (too often!) but I don’t know how to follow through with my vision or idea partially because I tend to be distracted, multi-taking and not focused on doing ONE thing really well!
So, let me share my brainstorming process with you so you can learn more about my vision, mission, and passion in life. What is my WHY???
- Why do I do what I do each day?
- Why do I own a fitness studio in a high rent district (Bellevue, WA)?
- Why do I train clients every day to get stronger, leaner, and faster- and to become better fat burners?
- Why did I renew my lease again for Fitness Forward Studio in downtown Bellevue when I am financially not where I want to be in my career?
- Why do I pay for a podcast (The WHOLE Athlete) that doesn’t generate any revenue (yet) that costs me money every month?
- Why do I write blogs, create programs and new workshops at Fitness Forward Studio?
- Why did I create and start branding The WHOLESTIC Method back in 2012 when I already have enough going on in my business life already?
- Why did I write my personal story “LIFE IS NOT A RACE” (on Amazon) and “The WHOLESTIC Method Manual & Workbook”?
- Why did I start yet another certification program to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner when no one seems to know what a NTP is about?
To help individuals of all fitness levels to burn fat, optimize health and to improve performance in life and sports.
I found that over the many years of being in the fitness industry (25 years already) that I can’t improve someone’s fitness level or their health by only personal training them one, two or three times per week. People have different health and fitness goals- typically to lose weight. People want to look better and feel better but I realized that starts from the inside out.
From my own experience, having an idea or concept or program to develop we need a plan or else it ends up in hours of wasted time and energy. This is the main reason I joined a fitness mastermind group in 2011, called “Todd Durkin Mastermind” group for fitness professionals and then took a program online with Dr. Josh Axe. Health and fitness professional struggle with running a business and getting in new clients to pay the bills but also for us the owners to get paid each month as well! We need to get paid for our time – but most of us don’t pay a typical salary every two weeks. So why don’t we just go back to working for someone else and get benefits?
We need to ask ourselves the questions provided in The PEACE Process book:
- What made you choose your health profession?
- Started interested in nutrition then corporate recreation then exercise science in college as I found it as my passion (after going the traditional business major/accounting minor route!)
- What condition or health issue makes you so mad the it brings you close to tears?
- Adrenal exhaustion- personal health challenge/opportunity!
- ADHD for kids
- Thyroid problems- so many female clients
- Cholesterol medication and more for all clients
- What story compelled you to change the course of your life?
- My personal story I wrote about after being told many times to share my story from being successful top ranking age-group triathlete to exhausted, overweight and depressed in months. LIFE IS NOT A RACE: It is a Journey with The WHOLESTIC Method
- What health issues have you or someone close to you struggled with?
- Myself adrenal exhaustion
- Mother- cancer
- Father- heart disease
- Friend – breast cancer
- What or who in life inspired you and your work and why?
- Ben Greenfield- I always wanted to know everything he talked about on his podcast
- Mark Sisson
- Sean Croxten
- Josh Axe
- When growing up, what did you love to do more than anything else?
- Always into exercise high school, college and after!
- Triathlons, marathons, and cycling- endurance sports where my calling
- How did you feel when you decided to take on this work?
- Once I opened my fitness forward studio in 2010- I felt excited to create the first “all in one studio” but overly focused on TRX Circuit Training and quickly changed marketing after two years being stuck as “TRX Studio” and not branding my workouts.
- After years of listening to clients struggling with weight, sleep, fatigue, health problems and focus… and continuing my education as a SUPERHUMAN Coach with Ben Greenfield’s program then as a CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach, I implemented all my training and experience into creating The WHOLESTIC Method program
- Podcasting- originally, I was the guest co-host, then co-host and now just the host! I wanted to continue breaking myths and sharing new information that we don’t hear in the mainstream media on how to burn fat, optimize health and improve performance.
- Nutritional Therapy is my next journey as I want to have the knowledge how to help others transform themselves from the inside with what their body needs to be truly healthy- as well as slowing down the aging process for maturing athletes!
I know I need to create a specific niche and that will be my target market: The effects of Chronic Stress. My personal journey started in 2013, five years, to recover and heal from adrenal exhaustion… and writing a personal book on it in November 2016 called “LIFE IS NOT A RACE” on Amazon (look for Debbie Potts or search LIFE IS NOT A RACE book!). Chronic stress impacts all systems of our body… as I shared in my book LIFE IS NOT A RACE. Now after going to school to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP), I am going to focus on educating, coaching, writing, and speaking about how stress impacts your entire health or what I am branding – The WHOLESTIC Method.
The book “The PEACE Process” guides practitioners on how to take that business idea in a successful practice. I know as a fitness studio owner since 2010, that having a specific niche and target audience with specific detailed information to target that potential client as well as create the relationships is with a detailed plan… P-E-A-C-E that is laid out in the book and website.
I help athletes of all levels combat fatigue and exhaustion so they can perform their best in life and sports.
My avatar client is one who is experiencing unexplained fatigue, exhaustion, and weight gain. Eating less and exercising more doesn’t provide the desired results – but learning how to implement the eight elements of ‘The WHOLESTIC Method’ approach helps individuals of all levels burn fat, optimize health, and improve performance from the inside out.
Often, we need to dig deeper to find the root cause of fatigue… search for our WHY!
- Why are we gaining weight?
- Why is an easy bike ride now a struggle?
- Why is a short run up a hill wanting to climb up Mt. Rainer?
- Why do I lift heavy weights three times a week and I am still gaining fat weight in new areas?
- Why do I keep gaining weight even though I am eating low-sugar/carbohydrates and higher healthy fats?
- Why can I go for hours during the day and not feel hungry- but still gain weight? If I am a fat burner then why do I keep storing fat?
These are my personal questions/struggles with my health and I continue to learn about my WHY! Therefore, I am going to be a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner so I can help others find out the root cause to their unexplained symptoms. The struggle is real people!
I know there are thousands of other individuals and athletes out there that are fighting the battle with adrenal dysfunction but they don’t know it or understand why.
That is my mission – via establishing The WHOLESTIC Method program at Fitness Forward Studio with Nutritional Therapy Practitioners (including myself), writing a “free e-book” opt-in on www.debbiepotts.net as well as www.fitnessforwardstudio.com, hosting a weekly free podcast called www.thewholeathletepodcast.com plus changing our focus at fitness forward studio to help transform the WHOLE client from the inside out with The WHOLESTIC Method services.
If you are a new practitioner and business owner, I would strongly suggest getting this book The PEACE Process as well as joining a mastermind group (we will host one in the future!), plus finding a virtual assistant on Up Work, Fiverr, or online other sources. We can’t do everything or else you will be a future client for me battling adrenal dysfunction with signs of fatigue, weight gain, hormonal imbalances, thyroid issues, detoxification problems, immune system issues and more!
The WHOLESTIC Method Coach, Fitness Forward Studio
Book Review: The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
I have always heard of this book over the years as it has been out for ten years! As I finally read this book ten years after the book was published, I realize how much of a pioneer journalist or rather investigator Michael Pollan really was back in 2006- or before as he did his research. If you want to learn more about really where your food comes from- the source- then read this book. The author just didn’t research online articles about where the food we eat comes from- even at fast food restaurants as McDonalds or “healthy” grocery store chains as Whole Foods… he went to the source and participating in his research to write this book and others. Years ago, I read Michael Pollan’s other handbook to eating called “Food Rules” and now I can understand where he came up with these “rules”. As I have said before… we just need to eat real whole foods or as some people say “JERF” (just eat real food).
The more books I read on our food revolution over the last six decades or more, the more I realize we need to pay more attention to not only what food we put into our mouths but also how much we are eating, the source of our food, and how we are eating. Our country had become addicted to busyness: we are constantly over-scheduled, over-stimulated and over-connected human doers …instead of human beings. These lifestyle habits show up in what the food manufacturers are creating as well as the marketing campaigns… people are busy and they want affordable food quickly.
Michael Pollan started to see our relationship to food as an epidemic over ten years ago. He was/is a journalist but found his purpose in life to explore the different meals in our society and experience our food industry first hand! Literally- Michael Pollan went to the corn fields and to the farmers, to McDonalds, to the grocery store and more to get to the source of our meal. The first part of the book is about corn and soy farmers which leaves you shocked how much corn is in every processed food as well as the serving containers! No wonder we eliminate corn and soy in our food elimination challenges- it is everywhere in our prepared foods.
Pollan takes a trip with his family to McDonalds where you really get an idea of the breakdown of corn products in fast foods. Is corn and soy food after the industrialization and chemical processing? Genetically modified foods (GMO) is an area we need to all become more educated and aware of- as well as avoid daily! GMO food products, in my opinion, are no longer real food and our bodies are designed to only digest real foods so what are we doing to our digestion system then the cascade of events after we eat non-foods? One can only imagine- or just look around on your next trip to the airport or busy tourist location as Disney World.
A typical meal at McDonald’s includes a frightening amount of corn- even if the food isn’t actually called corn on the menu! Pollan discovered that the meal his family ate at McDonalds’ really came from a cornfield in Iowa. Check this out-the corn feeds the steer- turns into the burgers -then becomes the oil that cooks the fries and the syrup that sweetens the shakes and the sodas! Out of the 38 ingredients in a chicken McNugget – 13 of the ingredients are derived from corn! Sick. McDonald’s should change the names on the menu to CORN Shakes, CORN based Soda, CORN based Chicken Nuggets.
The Omnivore’s Dilemma is a first-hand investigation/research story about “natural history of four meals” –and learning where the meal on his plate (or wrapper) evolved from starting with the soil to the finished product.
- Fast food Meal at McDonalds- and eaten at a fast pace in a car!
- An advertised “healthy” meal at Whole Foods grocery store
- A meal created from a sustainable organic farm.
- A traditional ancestral meal -hunt and gather your own food!
Where did our relationship with food go downhill? It could be the beginning of the feedlot food, processing food plants, the food pyramid or the addiction to busyness leading to the increased demand of packaged pre-made food that is quick and easy! We often don’t take time to slow down, sit down and enjoy eating a meal made of real food as they do in Italy or France! In our society, taking a break to go home for a family meal mid-day in unheard of as well as eating breakfast made from real food instead of out of a cardboard box or in the microwave! Today, we do have more options for “grass-fed”, “Paleo”, “organic” and “natural” – but what does that really mean? Where does that package food come from that is labeled “Paleo”? As Pollan writes in his other companion handbook called “Food Rules”- be able to understand the ingredients on the food label as well as make sure your food has five ingredients or less.
What is real food? Even Whole Foods that is marketed to be local and fresh is filled with packaged processed foods in the aisles that are microwavable and organic but filled with sugar and other filler ingredients. The billion-dollar food industry doesn’t make much money from our society buying vegetables and meat direct from a local farmer’s market or meat from a local farm. Go look at the eggs for sale at the grocery store- how do we know which ones to buy? Free-range, organic, grass-fed, omega-3 added eggs? It is overwhelming to shop even if you are education on what is real-food versus non-food. Where does your food come from that is on your plate? Is it from the natural world?
How many food products in our grocery stores, restaurants and fast food chains have their food derived from corn, soy, and bad vegetable oils? Pollan mentions of the 45,000 plus items in the grocery stores- over a ¼ of the food contains CORN! What about soy? Do we even know the history of corn and that the corn we grow in our back yard is not the same version of corn in a McDonald’s Chicken McNugget? If farmers are only able to survive if they have factory farm animals and GMO crops- how is the health of our future generations going to end up as?
I don’t want to go hunting for my own food but I do want to make sure the source of what I am eating is coming from a trusted origin and limited processing. Perhaps we need to focus on eating by the season and eating locally grown food – organic when possible and make more time to prepare our food …and even more time to enjoy the experience of eating food!
As I wrote a book about it: “Life is not a race… enjoy the journey” (on Amazon!). That includes what, where and how we are eating our food to provide our body with the nutrients we need to survive!
We are so excited to have Jen MacNiven join our Fitness Forward family as she begins teach Myofascial Yin Yoga at our studio:
- Tuesdays 7:00 PM
- Wednesdays 9:30 AM
- Thursday’s 11:30 AM
Check her out on King 5’s New Day show today! Our new celebrity!!
Check out Jen MacNiven on King 5 New Day:
Thank you for being apart of our mission to help inspire and transform our community from the inside out with The WHOLESTIC Method!